- The Prime Question
- What Is God?
- Where Did God Come From?
- How Did the Universe Come To Be?
- Is God Everywhere?
- Does God Know Everything?
- Is God All Powerful?
- Is Jesus or God Perfect?
- Why Did God Create the Universe?
- Why Would God Permit Suffering?
- Who were the beings that appeared to Abraham, Moses and Jacob?
- Is God a Democrat or Republican?
- Is Jesus a Socialist?
- Does God Love Harmful People? Should We?
- Is the Bible Infallible and Literally True?
- Does the Bible Really Say the Earth is Less Than 10,000 Years Old?
- Is Evolution Contrary to the Biblical Teachings?
- Was There an Adam and Eve?
- Is the Bible Anti-Science?
- Did Humans And Dinosaurs Live At The Same Time?
- Is the End of the World at Hand?
- Is Jesus Coming Again?
- Are We the Most Wicked Generation?
- Do I Have To Join A Church To Be Saved?
- What Does It Mean to be Saved?
- What’s With the Draconian Commandments in the Old Testament?
- Are the Bible Teachings Right or Wrong About Gays?
- What is the Beast?
- What Is The Mark of The Beast?
- What Is The Meaning Of 666?
- Is There Life After Death?
- What Is There That Survives Death?
- What Happens After Death?
- Why Are Near Death Experiences So Different?
- Is There A Heaven And Hell?
- Will Good People Who Do Not Believe Go To Hell?
- Is There Reincarnation?
- Do Animals Survive Death?
- What Will I Look Like When I Die?
- Is Heaven Boring?
- Is There Marriage After Death?
- Is There Sex in the Next World?
- Is Abortion Murder?
- Is There Good And Evil?
- What Is Good and Evil?
- Is There A Devil And Evil Spirits?
- Can The Human Soul Be Annihilated?
- Do Miracles Really Happen?
- Why Do Some People Suffer Pain and Disease While Others Do Not?
- Is Everything Predetermined?
- What Is the Purpose of Life?
- Where Did I Come From?
- Do We Have Free Will?
- Will Science Create Life?
- Are There Accidents or Is Everything Planned?
- Was there a Big Bang?
- Questions on the Universe
Was There an Adam and Eve?
Essentially, when we are asking if there was an Adam and Eve we are asking if there was a couple who were the first among us as self conscious humans, distinguished from animals – who are not self conscious and capable of logical thinking.
The answer is there had to be the first of every species, including the human race. Undoubtedly there was a male and female that was the first of our species. In other words, there was without question an Adam and Eve if we merely define them as the first among us.
The question on the minds of many extends beyond this. They want to know if there was an Adam and Eve as described in the Bible. Here’s the answer.
Humans have been on the earth, not for 6000 years, but for millions of years and during this extensive time period there have been numerous cataclysms, new beginnings and racial changes. Indeed, there was a first Adam and Eve about 18 million years ago, but since that time there have been many disruptive events and new beginnings. Each new beginning had a new Adam and Eve. The last time this happened was about 6000 years ago as related in the Bible.
The Genesis story was written to represent all the Adams and Eves in the history of the planet as closely as possible, but was not meant to be exact as in each new beginning humans have had has been a different story.
The last Adam and Eve, which was far from the first, appeared on the earth about 6000 years ago and the history in the Bible is basically an account from that time period onward. There have been numerous lost civilizations whose history is not mentioned in the Bible but many legends of them still persist in Hindu scriptures and other writings and traditions.
Where Did Cain Get His Wife?
In Genesis, chapter four we read;
“And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.”
The orthodox explanation is that Cain married his sister or niece. This would have to be the case if Adam and Eve were the only humans on the planet at that time but this does not seem to be the case.
The Bible indicates that Cain was the firstborn and Abel the Second. We are given the impression that Cain killed Able when they were young men and then shortly after Abel’s death it is written:
“And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.” Gen 4:25
The Bible tells us that Adam fathered “Sons and daughters” after Seth but none others are mentioned before that time.
But here is an interesting point and that is right after killing Abel and being cast out Cain went to the land of Nod got married, had a child and built a city.
How did he get married and build a city in an outcast land separate from Eden where Adam, Eve and their family lived? There would have had to have been people available outside of Adam’s children for that to have happened.
Yes, there indeed lived other humans outside of Eden. After a time of great destruction most of the human race was killed and Adam and Eve in Eden represented a new beginning of a new race of humans to be cultivated by the guides of the race toward a higher consciousness.
There were numerous other survivors reduced to primitive living outside of Eden and this is where Cain found his wife. Cain gathered these survivors and built a city.
Copyright by J J Dewey 2014
JJ’s Amazon page HERE
Join JJ’s Study class HERE