- The Prime Question
- What Is God?
- Where Did God Come From?
- How Did the Universe Come To Be?
- Is God Everywhere?
- Does God Know Everything?
- Is God All Powerful?
- Is Jesus or God Perfect?
- Why Did God Create the Universe?
- Why Would God Permit Suffering?
- Who were the beings that appeared to Abraham, Moses and Jacob?
- Is God a Democrat or Republican?
- Is Jesus a Socialist?
- Does God Love Harmful People? Should We?
- Is the Bible Infallible and Literally True?
- Does the Bible Really Say the Earth is Less Than 10,000 Years Old?
- Is Evolution Contrary to the Biblical Teachings?
- Was There an Adam and Eve?
- Is the Bible Anti-Science?
- Did Humans And Dinosaurs Live At The Same Time?
- Is the End of the World at Hand?
- Is Jesus Coming Again?
- Are We the Most Wicked Generation?
- Do I Have To Join A Church To Be Saved?
- What Does It Mean to be Saved?
- What’s With the Draconian Commandments in the Old Testament?
- Are the Bible Teachings Right or Wrong About Gays?
- What is the Beast?
- What Is The Mark of The Beast?
- What Is The Meaning Of 666?
- Is There Life After Death?
- What Is There That Survives Death?
- What Happens After Death?
- Why Are Near Death Experiences So Different?
- Is There A Heaven And Hell?
- Will Good People Who Do Not Believe Go To Hell?
- Is There Reincarnation?
- Do Animals Survive Death?
- What Will I Look Like When I Die?
- Is Heaven Boring?
- Is There Marriage After Death?
- Is There Sex in the Next World?
- Is Abortion Murder?
- Is There Good And Evil?
- What Is Good and Evil?
- Is There A Devil And Evil Spirits?
- Can The Human Soul Be Annihilated?
- Do Miracles Really Happen?
- Why Do Some People Suffer Pain and Disease While Others Do Not?
- Is Everything Predetermined?
- What Is the Purpose of Life?
- Where Did I Come From?
- Do We Have Free Will?
- Will Science Create Life?
- Are There Accidents or Is Everything Planned?
- Was there a Big Bang?
- Questions on the Universe
What Is The Mark of The Beast?
The mark of the beast has also been a subject of much discussion and speculation over the millennia. Here is the scripture behind it all:
“And he (the beast) causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” Rev 13:16-17
First, let us itemize some of the popular interpretations of the mark.
(1) The Barcode. From the beginning of its use in grocery stores this has been accused of being the mark of the beast. Believers say that the number 666 is embedded in every barcode. Others claim this is a misreading but this has not deterred believers from warning us that we will soon be required to receive a barcode on our right hands or foreheads.
(2) A Computer Chip. The idea here is that a beastly dictator will cause us to receive a computer chip implanted in the right hand or forehead and unless this is scanned in at the point of purchase no one can buy or sell anything.
(3) A tattoo of some kind, maybe a Social Security number.
(4) Recognizing Sunday as the Sabbath instead of Saturday.
These are perhaps the most popular ideas heading up an almost endless list of guesses.
But according to the scripture all of these guesses are not correct.
Again, it is written, “And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark…”
The word “causeth” comes from the Greek POIEO which is written in the present tense. Also the word “all” comes from PAS which can be translated as “all” or it can refer to a selection of people. If we translate the verse mare accurately it reads, “And he is causing certain people, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark…”
In other words, when the scripture was written 2000 years ago the beast was then, at that time, causing people to receive the mark.
We know that “all” was not the correct translation because all did not receive the mark. 144,000 redeemed, mentioned in Rev 14:1 received the Father’s name in their foreheads rather than the mark. Then in Rev 20:4 we are told of those “which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands.”
Taking this into consideration we must conclude that both the beast and the mark were alive and well 2000 years ago, before computer chips, before the barcode, before Social Security and before the day of rest was changed to Sunday.
So, what then is the mark which the masses have been receiving all through history?
To understand the mark we must understand the symbolic meaning behind the forehead and the right hand. It should be obvious that this is not likely to literally happen. For instance, the closest thing we have seen to the predicted antichrist was Hitler and he did place a mark on the arms of the Jews, but instead of choosing the right hand he placed the mark on their left arm. Why? He probably knew of the prophecy and didn’t want to be identified with the antichrist. He therefore chose the left arm rather than the right.
Any future bad guy who wants to mark his people is also likely to not place a mark on the forehead or right arm to avoid being accused of being in cahoots with the beast.
On the other hand, when we look at the symbolic meaning everything makes sense and we can see that the mark has been here with us all along.
The forehead symbolizes thought and the right hand a person’s labor. He who receives the mark of the beast in his forehead will think as the beast tells him to think. He will not question an outward authority that he has given greater allegiance to than the inner voice of the Spirit.
He who receives the mark on the right hand will do what he is told to do by the beast. He will obey without question. He will obey his prophet, priest or king without question. He will follow doctor’s orders without question. He will submit to political leaders without question and believe his teachers without question.
Many there are who see themselves as independent thinkers and doers who are not independent at all but are merely like a beast herded about in the direction some leader is pushing them. Many realize that if they do give authorities a problem that they will lose their job or source of income and may not be able to buy or sell because their source of income will be gone.
Fortunately, there are a small number of people who do not believe something just because an authoritative person demands it. A handful does escape the mark and will listen to the inner voice of the Spirit above the outer voice of established authorities.
A clue as to whether one has the mark of the beast lies in this question.
If you won a lottery and the authority who you most admired asks you for some of the money, would you give it without question, or checking with your inner self, or even checking into how the money is to be spent? If you were to give the money just because you trust your leader and not check with your inner core then you are in danger of having the mark of the beast and being led about like a beast is led by his master, never questioning but just going in the direction of the herd.
Copyright 2014 by J J Dewey
JJ’s Amazon page HERE
Join JJ’s Study class HERE